Ever wondered what our lives could have been without x-ray technologists? A complete state of limbo, where fractured or disfigured folks are left to fate, without hope of healing or recovery in sight. X-ray Technologists are healthcare professionals who utilize radiological equipment to take images of the interior part of a body for medical diagnosis.
As part of the healthcare team of workers, x-ray technologists are an essential part of the medical profession because of the immense role played by these individuals. They provide internalized details of a medical condition by taking a closer look at the cause of the illness, not from the superficial perspective but from the purview of the internal dimension where everything can be made bare. From mammography to orthopedic medical assessments, the significance of radiography cannot be ignored.
The x-ray technologists perform roles that are quite supportive as they are responsible for preparing patients for radiologic examinations. This is done in an area where the x-ray machine is located. Items such as jewelry and other items that might interfere with the examination process are discarded. They also supervise the positioning of the patient to enhance correct analysis and detection of problem areas. The entire procedure allows the development of a film that is utilized by medical doctors for further diagnosis.
The career opportunities within the field of radiology are not stereotyped to just basic x-ray techniques. It has other specializations that can be undertaken to broaden horizons and strengthen skills. Here are some of the career opportunities in this field
- Computerized tomography
- X-ray technologists
- Magnetic resonance imaging
Cancer awareness has been tremendously championed with fervor over the recent years, bringing the attention and publicity it deserves to the populace. Recent research has revealed that over 50% of cancer diagnoses were made in women in 2020, and these statistics have increased the demand for mammographers.
Mammographers are x-raying technologists who specialize in the utilization of low-energy x-rays to screen the human breast for the detection of cancer. It is a procedure that is conducted by certified technologists licensed to handle mammographic examinations. The breast tissue is examined to obtain breast images of the highest quality but with minimal radiation exposure. The median salary for a mammographer is USD 64,747 per annum.
Computerized tomography is a special x-ray procedure that is used for imaging the internal tissues of the head, lungs, abdomen, and other organs to detect the presence of tumors, injuries, blood clots, and hemorrhages in the body. These analyzed details enable the medical personnel to make informed decisions about the medical aid or care given to patients.
Since early detection of cancer is the first step in the determination of the type of treatment or procedure that will be required for its management, it is therefore of immense benefit to have specialists who are trained and licensed to undertake this diagnosis. Several campaigns about cancer have spurred millions of people to take decisive steps to ascertain their susceptibility or infection with the disease. This has made mammographers remarkably indispensable in the diagnosis and treatment of cancer.
These are specialists trained to manage radiological examinations, examine disorders or anomalies, and provide imaging films for future medical diagnosis. The x-ray technologists collaborate with physicians to diagnose diseases relating to bone or tissue damage.
Magnetic resonance imaging
Magnetic resonance imaging utilizes high magnetic waves to conduct its diagnosis. Medical professionals employ it to ascertain the severity of ailments and recommend appropriate treatments. The disparity between magnetic resonance imaging and an x-ray is that the former utilizes magnetic waves while the latter uses radiation.
How to become an x-ray technologist
As a field that is quite technical, skills and expertise is required for accurate diagnosis. Individuals who are passionate about this career path must take the right steps toward acquiring an educational degree. Usually, x-ray technologists need a 2-year associate degree in radiologic technology. This acquired knowledge of the practice fosters a good understanding of the nitty-gritty of this profession.
Possess the required license
The medical profession is a delicate one as the practice is centered on human life, thus the application of precaution in every sector of the medical career. Licenses are used to strengthen the authenticity of the medical practitioners and detect fraud in the system. X-ray technologists are required to obtain licenses from the state radiologists license board to further their career pursuit and reiterate their commitment to their service and profession.
x-ray technologists need to acquire certifications because it enhances professionalism and promotes authenticity. They reaffirm a stance that is hinged on good service delivery and absolute safe delivery of services during practice. In the United States, x-ray technologists get certified through the American registry of radiology technologists.
Although there are positions for entry-level x-ray technologists, the field is saturated with experienced professionals because of the need to manage medical diagnoses that are sensitive and require apt skills with expertise. After gaining a degree in this career path, intending x-ray technologists should get employment within the medical profession and garner enough experience to promote good service delivery and professionalism.
Benefits of x-ray technologists
- This career path presents flexibility and dynamism in all ramifications. X-ray technologists are not restricted in their practice as they are a necessary part of the medical profession, delivering radiologic diagnosis that assists physicians in medical evaluations and assessments of patients.
- X-ray technologists are in high demand, from the need for mammographers in the detection of cancer to the use of computerized tomography in the imaging of tumors and injuries; the significance of these professionals has greatly enhanced the medical profession by providing complementary support and objective collaboration.
- Radiology is an interesting field because the job gives the practitioners a view of the intricate network of structures that compose the various organs of the body. Each radiological assessment carried out presents an opportunity for discoveries that helps in medical advancement and treatment analysis.
- The salary structure for x-ray technologists is great, with an average salary of USD 57,510 with a median hourly wage of USD 27.10, a salary that has promoted job sustainability and efficiency.
- There are enticing career benefits within this career field. The remunerations are in tandem with the job acquisition as the benefits vary from one organization to another. There are health insurance benefits, vacation opportunities, and allowances.
- There is room for career growth and advancement in this field. The career path provides several areas of specialization such that the x-ray technologist is not stereotyped or subjected to one option.
Salary for x-ray technologists
The average salary for x-ray technologists is USD 57,510, with a median hourly salary of USD 27.65